[Synaptic-devel] [bugs #3864] ui/usability improvments2

From: Mantas Kriauciunas
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] [bugs #3864] ui/usability improvments2
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:51:04 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the bugs tracker
 of the project: Synaptic.

[bugs #3864] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Mantas Kriauciunas <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Mon 10/04/04 at 20:44 (GMT)

Thanks, maybe you know when new version with ability to install reccomended
packages as default will be released ?

It would be great if sarge would be released with this ability, I think
synaptic will be the best graphical package manager in sarge and it would be
great if synaptic in sarge would follow debian policy :)

[bugs #3864] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Synaptic
Submitted by: Michael Vogt
On: Wed 06/04/03 at 10:23

Category:  None
Severity:  3 - Ordinary
Item Group:  None
Resolution:  None
Privacy:  Public
Assigned to:  mvogt

Original Submission:  I think this bug has to be splitted into several bugs:

1. About search:
Most users expect to get a video player program when they type text "video
player" in field "Find Package" in main synaptic window. I think there should
be an option (turned off by default) "Exact package searching" (which controls
behaviour to search by description or by exact name in "Find Package" field in
main synaptic window) in synaptic preferences. Btw, why search by description
in synaptic 0.36 and apt-cache search produces different results ?
Search meniu item should be added to *Action* meniu, not to main menu. Also
only one search action with ability search in package name and package
description (like "Filter Packages" dialog in stormpkg program) should be added.

2. Installing recommended and/or suggested packages
With stormpkg installing recommended or suggested packages is very easy. Now
synaptic contains option "Automaticaly select recommended packages on actions",
which is very helpful, but this can also be improved - just do like stormpkg:
when user presses install button and "changes" dialog with packages (to be
marked for installation) is displayed, synaptic could also show suggested
packages in this dialog with the ability to install wanted ones - I think two
more columns could be added - one with checkbox and second one with dependency
type (depend, recommend or suggest).

3. Filtering and sorting
There are no way to filter packages by size or to find a package, that wastes
more space on disk in synaptic. I think in main package view should be columns
"Package Size" and "Installed Size" (or at least one column "Size" which means
installed size) and posibility to sort packages by clicking on headers of these
columns should be added.

About half a year ago deity - very good apt frontend was removed from debian
:(((. This fronted had the ability to sort and filter packages list by size,
section, installed or available version, and other parameters.
Try to use deity and you will see how comfortable and powerfull it is.
You can download deity from
http://files.akl.lt/veidrodis/misc_deb_packages/stable/ (gtk frontend is still
buggy, but curses frontend is pretty stable). You can grab best ideas from
deity and stormpkg :)

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Sun 10/03/04 at 14:31         By: Michael Vogt <mvogt>
Hi Mantas,

sorry for the the removal of the "install recommends by default". it's back in
the current developers tree of
synaptic and will be part of the next release.

bye,
 Michael

Date: Mon 09/27/04 at 09:23         By: Mantas Kriauciunas <mantas>
Why you removed option to install recommended packages as default in versions
0.5x ?
According debian-policy
(http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-binarydeps )
recommended packages should be installed in all but unusual installations, so
synaptic now doesn't follow debian policy :(

Date: Tue 11/18/03 at 11:58         By: Michael Vogt <mvogt>
1. fixed IMHO (find is in package menu though)
3. fixed
2. we work on this :)

if a package can't be installed, synaptic will tell you now why not

Date: Fri 10/10/03 at 14:27         By: 0 <None>
"" I think there should be an option (turned off by default) ""

What is the use-case of making this option, versus just always being on?  I see
no reason to add an unneeded option - why would anyone need to turn it off,
ever?

Date: Wed 06/04/03 at 13:56         By: Michael Vogt <mvogt>
the search code has improved now, there was indeed a problem with querrys like
"video player". it should now produce basicly the same output as apt-cache
search

Date: Wed 06/04/03 at 10:25         By: Michael Vogt <mvogt>

Back to Synaptic, one more usability suggestion - if a package can't be
installed/upgraded, it never says why (that I can tell). It just refuses to
mark the application as ready to be installed/upgraded. If the reason can't be
extracted (don't know how you're getting the output from apt, thru a lib or
parsing output), at least a dialog like "This package cannot be
[installed|upgraded]. This may be due to uninstallable dependencies or a broken
package. [OK]"

CC List
-------

CC Address                          | Comment
mantas                              | Why you removed option to install
recommended packages as default ?  According debian-policy (
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-binarydeps )
recommended packages should be installed in all but unusual installations.

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=3864>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/