[Synaptic-devel] [bugs #3777] packages not installing

From: anonymous
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] [bugs #3777] packages not installing
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:33:14 -0500

This mail is an automated notification from the bugs tracker
 of the project: Synaptic.

[bugs #3777] Latest Modifications:

Changes by: Anonymous user
Date:
                mié 15/12/04 at 14:27

The same happens to me, but with any package. Synaptic simply download the
package, shows the install progress bar and then rebuild the dependences tree,
as usual. But the package selected isn't instaled (synaptic show the package
selected for install).
It doesn't neither work the uninstall, upgrade or any option.
No error showed at any time. Neither running it from console (as root).

My system:
fedora core 2 - 2.6.5-1.358 (tettnang)
synaptic-0.52-1.1.fc2.fr

-----
parq!
address@hidden

[bugs #3777] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: Synaptic
Submitted by: Dennis Daniels
On: mar 27/05/03 at 22:59

Category:  None
Severity:  5 - Average
Item Group:  None
Resolution:  Fixed
Privacy:  Public
Assigned to:  None

Original Submission:  I'm trying to get eclipse to install. I've set the
sources.list see below. The first time I ran synaptic it happily downloaded
everything it needed but didn't install apparently. No error message no hint of
a problem. Now, when I double click on the eclipse platform synaptic thinks
about it for a second but no errors in the terminal and no Eclipse...i'm in the
dark here...

here's the sources list
rpm ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/generic
freerpm-src ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download
1.5/generic
free non-free
rpm ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/redhat-9
free
rpm-src ftp://us.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download
1.5/redhat-9 free
rpm ftp://eu.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/generic
freerpm-src ftp://eu.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download
1.5/generic
free non-free
rpm ftp://eu.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download 1.5/redhat-9
free
rpm-src ftp://eu.dl.sf.net/pub/sourceforge/jpackage/direct_download
1.5/redhat-9 free

ideas?

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: lun 01/09/03 at 05:37         By: Michael Vogt <mvogt>
I think this bug is fixed. synaptic will tell the user about problems like the
one described below now.

Date: jue 29/05/03 at 17:44         By: Michael Vogt <mvogt>
this is probably caused by the following situation. if you try to install
something the internal problem resolver tries to satisfy every dependency. if
this fails it cleans up so that no broken packages will be generated. this
might mean that it just undoes the request to install elcipse. you may check
the "what it would depend on" tab und "depenedencies" and see if you find the
problem there. we know that this resolving strategie isn't optiomal, we may
just throw a error in the future to tell the user what's going on.

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=3777>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/