tcd-hackers

Re: [Tcd-hackers] ChangeLog

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [Tcd-hackers] ChangeLog
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:01:18 +0000

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 05:51:59PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to replace the current ChangeLog file with one
> generated automatically by cvs2cl, which converts CVS
> commit messages into ChangeLog format. The old ChangeLog
> would be kept as ChangeLog.old.
>
> Any concerns?

Uhm.. well, there are some:

- Sometimes i do commits that are so minor they don't really deserve
  being in ChangeLog. For example, when I fix a typo or minor aestethical
  changes, or when I change something and then revert it.
- Then we'd have to write decent entries for every commit. This is not
  much of a problem but i'd have to "teach" myself doing it.
- How does cvs2cl pick names and addresses from? When we recieve contributions
  from hackers without cvs access and apply them, there should be a way to use
  their name and email address in the ChangeLog.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)