texinfo-devel

Re: <h1> vs. <h2>

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: <h1> vs. <h2>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 21:58:14 GMT

    while h5 is smaller than text

Still?  I thought current browsers had fixed that stupidity left over
from the early days.  No one would want a header smaller than the
text size, completely illogical.

    could be to let the user choose the top sectioning level by not using
    higher level elements.

Hmm, seems contrary to the language design and existing use.

      MAX_HEADER_LEVEL
    which would determine the highest level.

I like that idea.  I think it's the right way to go, and it should be 4
by default, because in practice no one wants headers smaller than text.

      HEADER_LEVEL_MODIFIER
    to modify the level prior from outputting the h?.

I'm not sure what you mean by "modify".  A conf variable to explicitly
specify the top-level <h> value seems like the simplest thing to
understand to me (maybe we already have it?).  And I think it should be
2 by default, since most manuals are relatively small, and because that
is existing practice.

Big manuals like Texinfo and Emacs could set it to 1 if they wish,
although I suspect in practice they won't care.  (I don't recall anyone
ever writing the list saying "how to make my chapter headers use
<h1>"...)

Sound ok?

Thanks,
Karl