texinfo-devel

Re: lower case letter in @acronym and @abbr

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: lower case letter in @acronym and @abbr
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:52:29 GMT

      @abbr{aaa}. B.

    Should lead to

      aaa. B.

Really?  I'm inclined to say just the opposite.  Here the markup
explicitly tells us that it is almost certainly an abbreviation and not
someone's initials.  Therefore the special rule about capitals shouldn't
apply and it should be a double space.  Why not?

I agree the result, whatever it is, it shouldn't depend on the case of
the argument.  (Right now it does, in TeX.)

BTW, looking at texinfo.tex, I see that I made a special rule for @abbr
such that the space inside @abbr{Comput. J} is a normal interword space,
not end-of-sentence.

Aside: I rather wish Knuth had not made that special rule about capital
letters.  I type ABBRS a heck of lot more than people's middle initials,
and confusion is incessant ...