texinfo-devel

Re: texi2html/makeinfo in dist

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: texi2html/makeinfo in dist
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 09:59:39 +0200

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:33:15PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     Also setting
>     the paths for texi2any called as makeinfo is a bit clumsy.
>
> Well, we've had this discussion before, but my humble experience is that
> it works out best if the Perl script adapts at runtime to whatever is
> available, regardless of whether it is called as "something.pl" or
> "something", so that it can be called inside the source directory as
> whatever without worrying about configure.  Instead of
> $ tp/texi2any.pl
> Can't locate Texinfo/Convert/Texinfo.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ...

You certainly meant
$ ./tp/texi2any

I get your point, but I am not sure that it is possible without hard-coding
path that are only relevant in-source.  The .pl trick in fact allows to
add paths such that it works in source.  Otherwise we'll have to have a
wrapper that sets environment variables or something like that.

> To make help2man do the right thing, I made texi2any output Usage lines
> for both makeinfo and texi2any as hardwired strings.  This is arguably
> less good than using $0, but it does match what the C programs
> (suboptimally) do.  It could surely be fixed in other ways, but I wanted
> to get on to other things.

This fix looks right to me, as it also convey the information that
makeinfo and texi2any do the same.

--
Pat