texinfo-devel

0 vs. NULL vs. '\0'

From: Karl Berry
Subject: 0 vs. NULL vs. '\0'
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 23:56:17 GMT

    It's a question of style and personal preference.

Yes, I am aware :).  I think "NULL" is consistently used as the null
pointer in the rest of the code.  (And I think it's clearer that way.)
It was in all the code I worked on, anyway.

NULL being #defined is a non-issue; everything #includes so many files
it is always defined.  (It's guaranteed to be defined from <stdio.h>,
and others.)

(BTW, it's also allowed to be #defined to ((void *)0), last I knew,
although it makes no practical difference.)

I don't think '\0' has been consistently used for the null character
byte, although of course it's perfectly reasonable to do.  I tended to
write just 0 for that :).  Anyway ...