texinfo-devel

Introduction: How I got here

From: Randall Sawyer
Subject: Introduction: How I got here
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 19:06:00 -0400

I am a long-time Linux/GNU-Hurd user.

I write code primarily in C, C++, Perl, HTML and CSS.

I am willing to contribute.

You may consider my motivation as that of "cognitive accessibility".

If I were reading software documentation on hard bound books, then I would be the sort of researcher with lots of labeled bookmarks in the pages and lists of where to find the information I need taped to the wall.

For example:
In order to put the contents of HTML documentation originating from the gtk-doc format at my finger tips, I found it helpful to write a Perl script which locates and converts all of the gtk-doc HTML index.html files on my system and writes them into HTML files which contain a left-hand sidebar of table-of-contents, a right-hand scrollable iframe displaying content and a drop-down list of neighboring documentation in the top left corner of the page. I have found this reformatting to be indispensible to helping me to navigate documentation. In the spirit of generosity, I posted this script - named "gtk-doc-navigator.pl" - and a screen-shot on the now defunct site gtkforums.com. The script was downloaded nearly 250 the last time I checked.

I want to become more proficient with tools such as 'autoconf, 'make' and other GNU-oriented apps and libraries. In order to assist my learning, I want to be able to convert existing documentation as I did with gtk-doc-navigator.pl.

Because I find the HTML output of makeinfo to be rather clunky as a starting point - as compared to that of gtk-doc - I have decided to familiarize myself with Texinfo in consideration of writing my own texinfo parser and/or converter.

NOTE: I have a few points and questions regarding Texinfo. Instead of overwhelming and alienating readers of the mailing list, I have decided to break up what I have to say into a number of discrete postings.

NOTE: I have supplied myself with a large sample of existing texinfo files on which to experiemnt by writing a script which crawls the page https://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html for for links to pages with links to downloadable *.texi.gz bundles. That fetched 110 files.

NOTE: If you want a copy of 'gtk-doc-navigator.pl' for yourself to see, I will send it to you upon request. It is fast - less than 0.1sec sys time for 81 source directories on a 12-year-old single processor laptop. You will need to have the perl package HTML::TreeBuilder installed (https://metacpan.org/pod/HTML::TreeBuilder).