texinfo-devel

Re: Message from a Visual-Tactile Learner v 2.0

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Message from a Visual-Tactile Learner v 2.0
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 22:10:27 GMT

    re-writing a copy of 'makeinfo' for myself with lots of 'print' commands
    in order to completely understand its workings.

Patrice (and Gavin) created lots of debug options for makeinfo, and lots
of test cases, since it itself was a rewrite of the C implementation.
I won't say it's easy to understand its workings, even incompletely, but
there's no royal road.

    My aim is to either employ the existing parser or to write a new one
    which will provide me and others like me with friendlier HTML
    output.

A lot can be done with the HTML output using different CSS and options,
at all levels. Pretty much anything is preferable to writing a new
parser ... --best, karl.