Re: [Texmacs-dev] Arch mirror

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Arch mirror
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:04:35 +0200 (CEST)

[...]
> You can't do that, obviously, so you don't update the
> reference directory. You don't know if your patch will
> clash with changes Joris has made in the (sometimes days,
> sometimes weeks) between tarballs. If you end up with a
> stale patch that clashes it is admittedly Joris' problem,
> not yours if there is a difficult merge. But it is not
> unaggravating nevertheless that you have to work with
> an old version of TeXmacs.

For these reasons, it suffices to make the patch w.r.t.
a not-too-old version and when uploading your patch,
telling us w.r.t. which version it applies.
The probability of clashes being very low,
I can deal with this.

> INSTEAD suppose everything is in CVS. I will assume the
> following method of work. Joris is the only one with
> commit privileges. Joris makes frequent commits, so the
> CVS mirrors his own working version, or one of them. When
> he wants to put up a tarball, he makes a CVS tag. This
> would not require big changes in his method of working.
>
> Now if you want to make a patch, you just run
>
> cvs update
> cvs diff -u >[patch]

My problem with CVS is that I have to explicitly notify about
all changes I make to the directory structure. If I forget to
notify CVS about a new file, then it can be forgotten by CVS.
That already happened to me several times and it resulted in
the new files of simply being removed after a rm -rf, cvs co...