Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Getting rid of Scheme?

From: skhilji
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Getting rid of Scheme?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 08:44:15 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Jan Ulrich Hasecke <address@hidden>
Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2004 4:08 am
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Getting rid of Scheme?

> TeXmacs for me has some very annoying drawbacks. Styles are completely
> opaque. I am working with LaTeX, with XHTML and CSS, but I was never
> able to alter the styles in TeXmacs.

You are way ahead of me here.  I have trouble writing even simple documents in
TeXmacs.  I have mentioned on this list before that the TeXmacs tutorials and
documentation do not really tell you how to type what you see in the screen.
One thinks about posting a question to texmacs-users but when you have too many
questions about writing even a simple document, it becomes a hassle to post.

> implemented. And maybe one reason, that there are not more developers,
> is the programming language.
>
> I am sad, that I cannot provide a solution. I can just describe my
> problems. How can we attract more developers to the TeXmacs-project?

You really cannot.  The reason is the TeXmacs is not really written in the
mainstream  programming language---Scheme.  Even the C++ part is not C++ but
rather is Scheme.  No many developers are familiar with Scheme, and many like
me refuse to learn it (that would be me) or are too incompetent to learn it
(again that would be me!).

What I really feel strange here is that I was able to master C++ (the language
that a lot thinks is the most difficult) but I cannot seem to get a hang of
Scheme.

Salman