Re: [Texmacs-dev] [For packagers] New font packages now carry a license

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [For packagers] New font packages now carry a license
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:43:21 +0200

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:05:50PM +0200, René van Bevern wrote:
> Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Good evening, Joris.
>
> > The extra font packages now carry license information.
> > So this should no longer be an obstacle for not using them
>
> Almost. ;-)
>
> I am glad to see that we are making progress in this and I have
> checked your provided license against the terms provided in the source
> files of the fonts, and everthing seems to be ok so far.
>
> I only have one issue left: I can't figure out where you got the fonts
> in type1/la/* from.

They are standard in TeTeX.

> Searching for their basenames on ctan.org does not
> yield any results, neither do the fonts in
> http://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/la/ seem to be the source for
> them. The LA and LLA fonts from there also carry a strange licence
> that does not explicitly allow modification, just redistribution as a
> whole, without removing any parts.
>
> It'd be nice if you clarified the origin of the fonts in type1/la/*. I
> have found only a few references to them via google, but none of them
> were useful besides your Makefile used to create them. ;-)

Well, I am more than fed up with these licensing issues.
If anyone has the courage to send me an updated package with
corrected licenses, then I will be glad to use it as a replacement.
If anyone wants to remove the la fonts and make all necessary changes
to notify russian users on what to do to get them, that is fine with me too.
In the meanwhile, I will let things as they are and hope that
things will settle themselves on CTAN.

If Debian has chosen to call LaTeX "free software",
then they should no longer trouble me with this nonsense.

Best wishes, Joris