Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 16:55:43 +0200

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 04:41:06PM +0200, Alvaro Tejero Cantero wrote:
> >At the time, it seemed to me that one would enclose different
> >language correspondents of one "unit" (e.g. one paragraph) in an
> >environment (e.g. \spanish) and then selectively make visible the
> >source and target language (english, spanish) for translation and only
> >the target language for reading.
>
> Just to explain myself more clearly: what I envisage is to interleave
> units in different languages:
>
> \english{this paragraph was written in english, the source language}
>
> \spanish{este párrafo está escrito en inglés, el idioma fuente}
>
> \german{dieser Absatz ist auf Englisch geschrieben}
>
> etc.
>
> There is of course one problem to this approach: locking. This is not
> bad if one of the languages being worked on is the source, though.

No, I am rather thinking about
  1) Having the source files as usual
  2) Having a big database for each language with pieces of text
     and their translations.
All necessary correspondances are found automatically and
version control between the source files and the translations
are cleanly separate. One additional thing is to add a database
for minor corrections in the source files, so that translations
are not lost because of corrections in the source.
Finally, one may do a small amount of pattern matching:
if I change a formula in the text or some graphics, but no text,
then translations should be upgraded automatically.