Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server

From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:49:01 +0200

== On TeXmacs bridges with the outside world ==

There is a huge work to do to promote TeXmacs in environments where it
already is a winner. I personally find that TeXmacs is one of the most
consistently underpromoted, less-than-ideally known free software
projects. In other words, it deserves much more attention than it
gets.

* tune the filters so that you can use it to get a printable version
of wikipedia's pages, either by visiting yourself the pages with TM or
by getting wikipedia to run the page through TeXmacs. This could also
lead to the use of TM inside wikipedia as the compiler for math, with
the added benefit of MathML output. Such a service would draw a lot of
attention towards TeXmacs.

* sell TeXmacs as the way to prepare math for the web. Also, chat with
mathematics while keeping LaTeX \macros functional is a killer
functionality for scientists.

* promote it as an structured and text editor for non-math savvy
publics. For this, it would be advisable to include a screenshot of
pure text in the welcome page, so that people sees that it can be used
as a very efficient multi-output editor. IF programmers would use it
for technical documentation, issues such as the toolkit and bugs would
receive more attention from an educated public.

* polish interconversion with Openoffice's OpenDocument format, in the
beginning by assuring it via intermediate HTML would make TeXmacs
usable for people who have to work in office environments but want to
be productive (mouse-based edition as in OOo is painful, and the
nesting concept of TeXmacs is really powerful).

* get funding to make the Windows version comparable to the unix one.
It has also been many times argued that using one of the major
toolkits would help get more attention.

Bringing more people to TeXmacs would in the medium term help us have
more workforce in bug hunting, scheme programming and stylesheets and
even maybe GUI rewriting.

I will personally try to recommit some time to TeXmacs starting 3 or 4
months from now.

Á.

On 6/4/06, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 03:40:06PM +0200, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> When you say "as small as possible", you don't really
> consider the difficult problem of automatically finding
> the borders of these trees.

The user assumed to say what is the translation to what.
The problem of automatically finding what is a translation of what
is only relevant for the already existing documentation.