Re: [Texmacs-dev] Cocoa backend

From: Henri Lesourd
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Cocoa backend
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:22:29 +0100

Martin Costabel wrote:

Henri Lesourd wrote:
[]

like : "implementing a lightweight X11 compatibility layer
on top of Cocoa, in such a way that (ultimately), one can
compile X11 code on the Mac without modification.

Such a compatibility layer already exists. It comes with Mac OSX and it is called, well, "X11"

Yes, but it is not the same. As far as I understand (correct me if I'm
wrong, here), Cocoa is a **native** library, it is not implemented
on top of X11.

This important point being established (and if I'm right on this topic),
it follows that a big part of the job of implementing a **native** Mac
version of TeXmacs (i.e., independent from X11) will include, whatever
the way you do it, the need for reimplementing the part of the X11 API
that is used by the non-native version of TeXmacs. Once we are here,
is should be easy to see that it could be interesting to expose this reimplementation
as an independent, **lightweight** library which provides a (currently)
partial compatibility with X11.

Apart from the latter, which is rather trivial and can be done already with the current X11-based texmacs, this requires, as Massimiliano explains, rewriting substantial parts of TeXmacs.

This is precisely my point : rewriting substantial parts of TeXmacs is better done if you take care of choosing the right interface, and of cutting the software
into the right (as reuseable as possible) components.

And there is no way around the fact that you need - even if you used a compromise such as Qt4 or gtk - for this task someone who knows intimately both TeXmacs and the Mac GUI.

I agree with this.

Best, Henri