Re: [Texmacs-dev] Texmacs orphaned in Debian/Ubuntu

From: Corey Sweeney
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Texmacs orphaned in Debian/Ubuntu
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:52:34 -0600

My debian info is a little old, assume this information to be about 90% correct. :)

What that means is that there is no longer anyone on the debian team that is assigned to maintain the debian package for texmacs.  So bug reports will not go anywhere, and the version will not get updated.  I believe if a debian package is orphaned for long enough, it can get dropped from the distribution, but don't quote me on that part.

Anyway, as to what to do about it, one possibility would be to "campain" for a new maintainer.  (I.E. try to find someone who's interested in becoming part of the debian team, and is willing to take on the maintaince of the texmacs package.)

Any voulenteers?

If your thinking of starting a group to promote texmacs, you may want to consider your position in the other major distributions too.  For example gentoo's version of texmacs is currently at:  1.0.6-r1   ("r1" is a gentoo thing), so most likely a gentoo maintainer would be helpfull too.

Corey

On 1/19/07, Joris van der Hoeven < address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 10:10:41AM +0100, Bas Spitters wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I happened to stumble across the following message:
>
> Texmacs has been orphaned in Debian (and thus Ubuntu etc.) :-(

What does that mean, exactly? What should we do about it?

--Joris