[Texmacs-dev] Re: C++'s frustrations

From: Abdelrazak Younes
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: C++'s frustrations
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:38:54 +0200

Henri Lesourd wrote:

 Probably under Linux it works most of the time,

_always_

 and under windows
 it's more often broken:

MSVC is really the defacto standard (KDE, python, LyX, etc all use it). I don't see the problem here. In any case, I think, but I am not sure, Borland and Intel compilers are compatible while Mingw's g++-3.2 is not (not sure about recent version of g++). So yes, I think that choosing either MSVC or Mingw would be a hard requirement for plugin developer. Or you can just see those two compilers as two different platforms and deliver a TeXMacs binary for both. That is exactly what the KDE on Windows people do by the way.

 Or perhaps do you have some other interesting new information about
 C++ which could cure my doubts ?

I hope my argument above did so. I don't think that imposing a compiler for plugin development is a very hard requirement, especially nowadays where you can have free (as in beer) compiler on all platforms.

Abdel.