[Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] segmentation fault

From: Henri Lesourd
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] segmentation fault
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:09:12 +0200

Wolfgang Jansen wrote:

Henri Lesourd wrote:

No possibility to test: not possible to
write software.

Because, *as I said before*, the bug is not platform
specific, it is standard specific. Announcing that the
software will run at "all major UNIX platforms"
requires to follow the standards.
Well, it happens during development that some extensions
to a standard will be overseen. But as soon as the standard
violation becomes visible one must resort to the standard.
Otherwise, it will be impossible to produce qualitative
software.

You should apply your own standards to
yourself first, IMHO.

There may be many places where the result
of the function is needed. Can the function simply
be switched off? If it was so simple
why has this not already been done?

Things are never so simple, one must spend
time to read the code in order to see if
changing it can break things, and spend
time to test the changes afterwards, even
if reading the code lead to the idea that
everything should be fine.

Thanks for teaching how software is produced.
Now I know what I've made wrong during the last 30 years.

I dont know what you made wrong during all
this time, but I know for sure what you are
doing wrong right now. If you can't see it,
it's your problem, not mine.