Re: [Texmacs-dev] Patches: copy/paste and selection handling.

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Patches: copy/paste and selection handling.
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:13:13 +0200

Dear Norbert,

I am just resuming my work on TeXmacs... starting with your pending patches.
Thanks for the good work ! This makes cut-and-paste behaviour far more standard.
I applied all patches. A few remarks:

1) I changed the "mouse" selection into "visible" selection and
   also use the "visible" selection for the current keyboard selection
   (made using control space in Emacs mode or shifted cursor keys otherwise).

2) I am fine with removing the current selection on mouse clicks,
   except for one potential drawback: when pasting using middle click,
   the cursor has not yet been positioned in a very precise manner.
   This is important in TeXmacs contrary to emacs, because different
   cursor position may be very (even infinitely) close graphically.
   Anyway, I do not see any appropriate fix, so we probably have
   to live with this drawback.

3) Since the visible selections become much less persistant
   (they are only used in combination with middle clicks),
   it makes sense to replace the selection on keyboard or paste events,
   as is usual under Windows / MacOS, at least if we are not in Emacs mode.

4) I don't think that the new implementation of delete is a problem
   for users of the Emacs mode: in Emacs, one rather uses C-w anyway.

5) Did you check whether the behaviour is correct for the Qt version?

6) In the future, we should implement kill rings and multiple selections.
   This is on the list since a while, but, well...

Best wishes, Joris