[Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] QT texmacs (mac os X version) on the texmacs

From: Martin Costabel
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] QT texmacs (mac os X version) on the texmacs website / fink
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 21:01:48 +0100

On 29/10/10 12:45 PM, Gubinelli Massimiliano wrote:

Hi all.

On 29 oct. 10, at 12:17, Martin Costabel wrote:
[]
Currently, Fink has texmacs-qt-1.0.7.3, which may be "fairly old". In
any case, it is pretty buggy. I have a package description for 1.0.7.5
that builds, creates an app bundle, and runs, but I haven't managed to
run any of the plugins, so I didn't release this to Fink. Trying to
build texmacs-qt-1.0.7.7 fails with the error
[...]

I've commited a fix for this. Please if you experience problems report
them to the dev list or add them to the bug tracker so that we are aware
of them. I usually do not compile the X11 version often on Mac.

I will try to have TeXmacs/Qt.app ready for the weekend. I will post a
message when done.

I have now released Fink packages texmacs and texmacs-qt for version 1.0.7.7. I used your patch from SVN for the qt version, so that it builds now. I fixed some other bugs, so that at least the gnuplot plugin is now working. I didn't look at many other plugins, and my personal quota for texmacs-bugfixing is used up for the near future.

tm_gnuplot didn't work for two reasons:

The first reason is that "echo -n" in a /bin/sh script on MacOSX 10.5 or later does not do what it is intended to do, it prints "-n". This is something we discussed many years ago, and it was fixed in the texmacs sources for a while by replacing #!/bin/sh with #!/bin/bash. It was unfixed a little later, because linux users complained about non-existing /bin/bash. This bug prevents the gnuplot plugin (and a couple of other plugins) from working in both the X11 and the qt version.

The second bug only showed up in the qt version, because a Mac app does not have a writable working directory. It would also show up in the command line version if you start texmacs while your current directory is not writable. The bug comes from the following lines in tm_gnuplot that have been there, undetected, since at least 7 years:

TEMPDIR=.
if [ -d $TEMPDIR ]
then
        :
else
        mkdir $TEMPDIR
fi

# defining temporary postscript file name
TEMP_PS_NAME=temp.eps

# standard initialization of GNUplot
init='reset~set terminal postscript eps enhanced ~set output
"'$TEMP_DIR$TEMP_PS_NAME'"~set size 1,1~set autoscale~'

This code is..., well, I'll remain polite and don't comment. But someone even copied it to the asymptote plugin!
Anyway, the result is that gnuplot tries to run

  set output temp.eps

which does not work if you don't have a writable current directory.

--
Martin