Re: [Texmacs-dev] Kerning Bug

From: Miguel de Benito Delgado
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Kerning Bug
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:03:50 +0100

Hi,

I don't really understand what kerning is about, so I cannot give you an answer. Have you tried (compiled) your idea? Does it have weird side-effects? If everything looks fine we could do some more testing and think about adding it to the code. Maybe Joris has something to say here?

--
Miguel.

Aleksandr Dobkin wrote:

As I was reviewing the display of the Times (URW Nimbus Roman) type in
TeXmacs, I noticed quotation marks were not being positioned
correctly. It turns out TeXmacs breaks up words up by whitespace and
punctuation marks and runs the ligature-kerning algorithm on
individual words only. However, this means that if a punctuation mark
occurs next to a letter, it will not be kerned.

The problem is in the function text_language_rep::advance() in the
file System/Language/text_language.cpp.

The simplest way to fix this bug would to count punctuation marks as
being regular text. Is there a problem with this approach?