[Texmacs-dev] build environment on mac

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] build environment on mac
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:27:19 +0100

Hi all,
 I've recently built the official TeXmacs-1.0.7.15.dmg package with a new setup
and as far as I see it works fine. So I want to share this with other
developers interested in building TeXmacs/Qt on mac. The point is of course
having at hand the libraries TeXmacs/Qt depends on which currently are qt,
freetype and guile. My initial motivation was to be able to produce 32 bit
binaries for 10.5 (and up) on my 64 bit 10.7 system. The build system is able
to prepare libraries compatible with 10.5 and with i386 or x86_64 architecture
(and maybe also ppc but this is untested). It does not istalls the libraries
but there is a script which allows TeXmacs configure to find them out. So that
you can test different configurations on the same machine. Here how it works.
For simplicity I tells you a recipe based on my standard directory structures
for developing, feel free to adapt to your needs:

# make a base directory where everything is build
mkdir tm-devel
cd tm-devel
# check out the svn head
svn co svn://svn.sv.gnu.org/texmacs/trunk clean
# set-up the build system
cp -r clean/misc/tm-devel-mac/{Makefile,configure-tm,src} .
# customize it for your system
# in particular change the BUILD_ARCH and DEVTOOLS variables in Makefile
# and the ARCH and DEVTOOLS variables in configure-tm
# you need to have a $DEVTOOL/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk directory somewhere,
# typically $DEVTOOL = /Developer
# but on Lion the 10.5 SDK is not supported so you have to install the 3.2.6
Developer Tools (with XCode 3) and point
# the variable there. Google to see how to do this.

# after customization build the libraries

make JOBS=4 qt freetype guile pkg-config

# JOBS=4 is to tell make to use 4 threads to build each of the packages in
sequence (better to handle errors)
# If you say -j4 then there will be 4 thread building different packages.

# when it has done you can configure TeXmacs

cd clean
source ../configure-tm

# and the the usual

make

# and eventually

make BUNDLE

# which will put in ../distr the bundled application.
# Happy hacking.

# max