[Texmacs-dev] Successfully building TeXmacs on Ubuntu 18.04

From: Marduk BP
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Successfully building TeXmacs on Ubuntu 18.04
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 11:56:04 +0200

Dear all,

I just compiled TeXmacs 1.99.7 on Ubuntu 18.04. As is well known, the only build requirement not provided by Ubuntu versions later than 16.04 is guile-1.8-dev. This package cannot be installed in Ubuntu 18.04, since it depends on libreadline6-dev, which has been superseded by libreadline-dev (which provides version 7).

As it turns out, it is straightforward to compile Guile 1.8.8 in Ubuntu 18.04 and afterwards compile TeXmacs. Therefore, I do not understand what is the big deal with providing a TeXmacs package in Ubuntu.

In order to encourage further testing and (hopefully) the comeback of TeXmacs to the Ubuntu repos, here is what I did:

$ wget -O proot https://github.com/proot-me/proot-static-build/blob/master/static/proot-x86_64?raw=true

$ chmod u+x proot

$ wget https://uk.images.linuxcontainers.org/images/ubuntu/bionic/amd64/default/20180814_07:42/rootfs.tar.xz

$ tar xvfJ rootfs.tar.xz

$ proot -S rootfs bash

In the following # denotes the root shell inside PRoot

# export PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin

# apt update

# apt install wget git

These are Guile's build dependencies

# apt install --no-install-recommends autoconf automake debhelper dh-autoreconf flex libgmp-dev libltdl-dev libncurses5-dev libreadline-dev libtool texinfo

# wget https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guile/guile-1.8.8.tar.gz

# tar xzvf guile-1.8.8.tar.gz

# cd guile-1.8.8

# ./configure --disable-dependency-tracking --enable-error-on-warning=no

# make

# make install

These are TeXmacs' build dependencies

# apt install --no-install-recommends build-essential autotools-dev cdbs debhelper ghostscript imagemagick ispell libfreetype6-dev libimlib2-dev libjpeg-progs libltdl-dev libqt4-dev librsvg2-bin libtiff-tools libx11-dev libxt-dev netpbm quilt r-base-core x11proto-core-dev xfig

# git clone https://github.com/texmacs/GNUTeXmacs.git -b v1.99.7

# cd GNUTeXmacs

# ./configure

# make