Re: [Tinycc-devel] new in this mail-list

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] new in this mail-list
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:41:29 +0100

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 11:47:32AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi, TCC:
>
> I am new in this mail list. I hope use TCC in the next future with the
> purpouse
> to use it as embedded language in my doctoral project VAIN (Virtual Active
> Network). The term Virtual is because really it isn't exists yet ;-) (but the
> are prototypes)

Is your work a continuation of Synthesis from Massalin?
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/massalin92synthesi.html

> I have experience in C/C++ programming and i hope improve TCC like a RTCG
> (runtime code generation) tool. In fact i want use TCC to generate plugins at
> runtime and link them with my host application.

Just a few notes. Tcc is a C compiler, so, in order to generate code,
you need to generate the C code first (in a file, or in a memory
string). Unless your code is simple or somehow regular (at least from
the generator's point of view), it is usually a good practice to
represent some abstract syntax tree of the generated code.

TCC is fine for C compilation, notably if you already have some C
template machinery available.

If you start a project from scratch, and if you want to generate
quickly code (even faster generation time than with TCC) you might
consider using GNU lightning, which is a library for direct machine
code generation. See
http://www.gnu.org/directory/libs/gnulightning.html for details.

Regards

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
8, rue de la Fa?encerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France