Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is tcc still being developed?

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Is tcc still being developed?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 06:51:49 +0200

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 08:25:42PM -0700, Kyle Hayes wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 September 2004 13:39, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> >
> > You might consider using GNU lightning (which is not a C compiler, but
> > just a JIT library, ie a set of C functions (actually macros) to
> > generate machine code. GNU lightning works on x86 and on PowerPC, but
> > you have to use the latest CVS since some PPC related bugs have been
> > corrected recently.
> >
> > see http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/lightning/ for more.
> >

> You also might want to look at libjit from the Portable .NET GNU project:
>
> http://www.dotgnu.org/pnet-packages.html

Thanks for the reference, but Libjit does not support PowerPC yet (even the
latest CVS snapshot).

> I've had the impression that work on Lightning is nearly stopped.

No, there have been significant improvements & bugfixes on the CVS of GNU
lightning. So it is a living project.

Actually, the latest commits on lightning CVS are PPC related! And the PPC
part of GNU lightning is really usable now, provided you use a recent CVS
snapshot.

FWIW, I coded OCamlJit, a just-in-time translator of Ocaml bytecode to
machine code, with GNU lightning. See
http://cristal.inria.fr/~starynke/ocamljit.html for more.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
8, rue de la Fa?encerie, 92340 Bourg La Reine, France