Re: [Tinycc-devel] Bug

From: Lubomir Kundrak
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Bug
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:36:06 +0200

Hi!

According to [1] Ubuntu website, tcc is in their package system,
so you should be able to install it with apt-get(1) tool like
depicted below. Of course you need root priviliegies, gain them
with su(8) or sudo(8).

# sudo apt-get install tcc

If this attempt is unsuccessful, you probably don't have the
'universe' repository in the soureces list. So add it, as described
in [2].

[1] http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/dapper/devel/tcc
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Alternative way is not to use a binary package, but compile tcc
yourself. Either unpack the tcc tarball, or check out source from CVS
and do

$ ./configure && make && sudo make install

See documentation for more information.

To compile and run a C program you can either edit it in your favourite
editor, then compile it on a command line and run it, or use a GUI IDE
tool. If i can recommend you a good programmer editor, take a look at
VIM. If you don't have it, install it in a manner similar to installation
of tcc (above) -- with apt-get. Another option could probably be GNU Emacs.

If you want to use an IDE and you're used to Borland IDEs, you'd
probably like XWPE [3]. There also exists an ubuntu package with it.

[3] http://www.identicalsoftware.com/xwpe/

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask either me,
or this mailing list (but I'm not sure whether this is the right place).

Kind Regards,
Lubo