Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC on new ARM selfhosted

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC on new ARM selfhosted
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:47:29 -0700

I'd be interested in this mainly for use with Chicken Scheme.  The
compiler translates Scheme to C and then compiles the C.  (There is
also an interpreter, but it's not a particularly fast one.)  I use it
now on a Zaurus with gcc, but I run it from a chroot image on a CF
card because usually gcc is not installed on an OpenZaurus image.
It's also kindof slow, and I'm sure tcc would be much faster.

On 9/5/06, Daniel Glöckner <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 08:46:31PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Since we are already discussing ARM features, has anyone succeeded in
> getting a _selfhosted_ ARM version for any kind of system (Windows CE
> or Linux).

That would require an ARM inline assembler in TinyCC.
IIRC the one I wrote 1.5 years ago 'only' needs asm constraint handling
and parameter substitution to be complete. I posted to the list about the
difficulties
( http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tinycc-devel/2005-04/msg00015.html )
but got no reply. Haven't touched the code since then.

> I tried it some time ago, but failed on some functions
> there were inline assembler for X86 only.

Only the division functions in libtcc1.c use x86 asm code.
An ARM version of libtcc1 has been sitting on my homepage for about 3
years: http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~daniel/tcc/

  Daniel