Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c

From: Gregg Reynolds
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:41:58 -0500

On 9/21/07, Peter Lund <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 23:38 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
>
> > You've mentioned Harbison and Steele more than once, but otherwise I've
> > never
> > heard of them.
>
> It's the standard work that everybody uses instead of reading the
> standard ;)

That's what I thought, but only because I read it on the internet.  ;)
 Also, because the "Steele" is the illustrious Guy Steele, co-creator
of Scheme and also author of "The Hacker's Dictionary" and the Java
Language spec., among other books.

> Seriously.  It is a reference book on C written to complement K&R and
> has been used as such since the first edition in the eighties (predating
> the standard).

Rob, you'd probably find it well worth the money.  In particular it
discusses the differences between the different versions of C, so if
you want to support pre-C99 code you'll probably find it
indispensable.

> > don't remember ever hearing anyone refer to "projection", so when you refer
> > to it as a vital theoretical concept and imply that this name is commonly
> > used for it, I tend to stop paying attention to the rest of the paragraph...

Always a good reading strategy.  Why risk learning something when
you've got real work to do?  ;)

Seriously, I didn't mean to sound pedantic.  I should have added the
caveat that I'm trying to find clear language for expressing C
semantics, and the best approach I've come up with so far is to borrow
language from formal language research (functional programming, type
theory, the Z specification language, etc.), which by and large is
exceptionally clear, simple, surprisingly close to ordinary usage, and
backed by rigorous semantics.  I think it's possible to do this, if
one is willing to jettison the traditional metalanguage used to
discuss C, but it's a work in progress and not to everyone's taste.
If the result sounds like a lecture, well, I'll have to be more
careful.

Don't worry, I'm not going to spam the list with this stuff, just
wanted to give it a whirl on "extern" qua projection operator.

-g