Re: [Tinycc-devel] Need help with hardware i/o

From: Antti Huovilainen
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Need help with hardware i/o
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:24:01 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, address@hidden wrote:

Problem #1:
Most of my utilities access hardware i/o ports, such as UART, cmosram, and
PIT (Programmable Interval Timer).

You cannot access hardware directly in win32 programs (or linux programs for that matter). PIT access can be replaced with native win32 timer routines and UART with the serial communication api. CMOS ram access is probably impossible.

Problem #2:
I also do direct access to video ram (xB8000000). Again, with QuickC I do

1) You cannot access video ram directly in windows (or linux).
2) 0xB8000000 is not a linear pointer so it won't work in 32 bit dos programs either. The equivalent linear address is 0xB8000.

Antti

"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow"
  -- Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova