Re: [Tinycc-devel] i just can't get over how farging fast tcc is...

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] i just can't get over how farging fast tcc is...
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:55:25 +0100

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Gary Birkett <address@hidden> wrote:
I am already impressed with its reported build speed, though I am curious at just how much of a difference the optimisation steps in gcc actually make.
I would test myself, but most of the things I build are for ARM, hence my asking you to try some tests since you are using it :)

i've been re-running my (admittedly simple tests) throughout the day, and the numbers i'm seeing are that gcc sometimes performs about 20% better, but not consistently (sometimes just a few ticks faster). But my app is short-running and i/o bound, so it's not a truly representative test. What i love the most is the ability to create executable C code. i have gotten in the habit of creating "amalgamation builds" of my libs, where all the needed sources are in 1 .h and 1 .c (i got the idea from sqlite3). These are very useful in conjunction with tcc, as demonstrated here:

http://code.google.com/p/whefs/wiki/WhefsAmalgamation
(in fact, there's a whole section about tcc there)

http://fossil.wanderinghorse.net/repos/whio/index.cgi/wiki?name=AmalgamationBuild

http://fossil.wanderinghorse.net/repos/cson/index.cgi/wiki?name=AmalgamationBuild

...and so on...

Happy Hacking!