[Tinycc-devel] RE :Re: Fastest TCC version

From: Christian JULLIEN
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] RE :Re: Fastest TCC version
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 09:50:23 +0200 (CEST)

You may experiment more gcc aggressive optimization options to improve tcc compilation speed.
e.g. -O3 -flto -finline-functions -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -finline-limit=4096 ...

Another possible improvement is to play with gcc profiled compilation (see -fprofile-xxx on http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.7.2/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize-Options).
The idea is to compile tcc with profile mode on, run tcc to compile your program, then use collected data to compile tcc a second time with help of collected data to optimize even more.

Please note that doing so may **decrease** speed since optimization is a black magic and there is no general rules. Some optimizations can really improve speed. I advice you to try ONE optimization at a time.

With the correct set of optimizations turned on, you may save something between 20 - 50% in compilation speed.

Christian