[Tinycc-devel] When a DLL isn't a DLL.

From: livespi
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] When a DLL isn't a DLL.
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 11:30:46 -0700

Greetings all,
Does anyone here have cross-language knowledge/experience with Perl on
Win32?
I can build dll's with tcc using the "-shared" flag, and they work fine
when I  call the dll functions FROM a tcc program.

Perl has a package Win32::API which allows you to call dll functions from
within  a Perl script.  It works fine when calling dll's that come from
Microsoft.   However, when I call my dll's built with tcc, Perl crashes.
>From research on the  web, this indicates an incompatible "calling
convention" i.e. stack arrangement  for function calls. I have to re-build
my dll's with mingw-gcc and dlltool  (which comes with StrawberryPerl)
before I can use them with Perl. This doesn't  make sense to me because
tcc can call MS dll's.

Are the dll's produced by tcc not the same as the dll's from Microsoft?  Is
this  a known issue?  If so, why have the -shared flag at all and just use
a .a or  .lib? I thought tcc was compatible with mingw gcc.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be grateful.

                        *** WinXP using Popcorn email client