[Tinycc-devel] win link stage: sth about resource object file section na

From: lifenjoiner
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] win link stage: sth about resource object file section name compare
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 22:42:27 +0800

Hi grischka and there,

You experienced, I want to ask a question about section name on windows.

I find a smaller resource file compiler "GoRC" (http://www.godevtool.com/) than
"windres". It also contents the basic definitions inside (don't need specify
"-I" option). It generate coff format object file with a section name
".rsrc$01". Here is the problem.

TCC needs the name exactly be ".rsrc" as bellow:
static int pe_load_res(TCCState *s1, int fd)
{
    if (hdr.filehdr.Machine != 0x014C
        || hdr.filehdr.NumberOfSections != 1
        || strcmp(hdr.sectionhdr.Name, ".rsrc") != 0)
        goto quit;

The "GoRC" is good, though, is not open source. I have tried success by
modifying the section name and then linking.

So, my question is:
Can TCC compare the res section name using the 5 front char? Will this cause
TCC confused in some case?
Or, only can "GoRC" be used after a private hack?

Best wishes,
YX Hao