Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 10:33:42 +0200

I understand the need for LTS but, unfortunately C++ never worked like this.
I have been very happy with CFRONT 2.0, then with 3.0 when it came out but
I'm no more able to use them for my developments.

I recognize that some projects can be very happy to use only features from
CFRONT 2.0 only.

Except for 'small' projects you generally need to compose your application
with other C++ library and here comes the nightmare.
Latest C++ is generally like a 'virus'. Because, for good or bad reasons,
you absolutely need the latest C++ library you depend on, you also need to
move your code to the same C++ version.
At the opposite, a C++ library using only CFRONT 2.0 features will not be
usable by more recent C++ versions - I mean C++ < 10 years!!

It is especially true when you develop on different platforms.

LTS C++ will remain a dream.

Again, except for the fun (life is not interesting without fun), I see no
interest for cfront. I bet that if we have the rights to use cfront (say
3.0) you soon will have a zillion of requests to add 'this important C++
feature I can't leave without'.

I'll stop to pollute this mailing list with this (interesting) thread.

Christian