Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C (food for thought)

From: Sergey Korshunoff
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C (food for thought)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 02:27:24 +0300

Hi Christian Jullien!
> I'm really afraid to see discussion on about to optimize Cfront tcc backend!
There is no such discussion. But Basile and you trying to say tcc is
not a real compiler, a tcc can not be used to perform some task. Only
because it is not a optimizer compiler. This is not true. We don't
need an optimizer compiler all the time. Some words from the MELT
build instructions:
 - 6 GByte of the RAM
 - 20 minutes for build
Only because a C++ must be compiled

> It has the reputation to be slower than C and, in some sense, it is true when
> used by
> non-highly experimenter C++ programmers. (In real life, C++ can outperform C
> - I have code that run >2x as fast in C++ --thanks to templates-- than in C).

I looked in OW STL some words about comparison a C++ way programming
with plain C: in some cases C++ slower a plain C by 1.5  It is not a
fail of the "highly expnon-erimented C++ programmers". But yes: C++
can be as fast as a plain C if you don't use C++ features or use only
a templates w/o classes.

PS: I can't fast find this article: a test  was a C way list and
iterators against a C++ list, iterators and so...