Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using tinycc for full source bootstrapping

From: Edmund Grimley Evans
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Using tinycc for full source bootstrapping
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 12:58:32 +0100

I'm not an active contributor so my opinion doesn't count for much,
but here it is anyway.

Though I like the idea of implementing TCC in a smaller subset of C it
should be a clearly defined subset of C and preferably one that makes
sense generally rather than just for a particular bootstrap path. Why
not start with C89 rather than C99?

Some of the examples you gave don't make the language significantly
simpler, in my opinion. I don't think restricting C's expression
syntax makes the compiler writer's job any easier (though some code
style rules reject the comma operator anyway). If you want to simplify
things ban floating-point types, structs as arguments and most of the
standard header files and library functions. Also "switch" and "goto",
perhaps.

Edmund