tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Install difficulties

From: rein
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Install difficulties
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:51:35 +0100 (CET)

> Greetings,
>
> I'm a long time TR user (first version was 3.83 back about 10 years or
> so)  and recently became aware of TLF.  Having recently purchased a new
> computer,  I couldn't resist installing Linux.  I've been around UNIX
> (I'm an electrical  engineer) for nearly 20 years.  I'm running RedHat
> 7.3, kernel 2.4.18.3.
>
> I recently downloaded the latest files from the TLF site.  In
> particular, I  couldn't get "cwkeyer" or "hamlib 1.13" to install.
>
> I like the cwkeyer driver, as it has paddle inputs, which I use quite a
> bit.   The Makefile was looking for a ".config" file which doesn't exist
> on my  system.  Figuring that I could resolve this problem with a bit of
> detective  work, I put it aside and proceeded to install hamlib.

Sorry, I haven't used this keyer for a year... I recall having some
problems with it at that time (would hang up the output pin and the
sidetone, only to be killed with removing and insmod-ing the module...,
and the paddle inputs were so sensitive we had problems during a field-day
set-up). Another drawback was the maintainability of the cwkeyer. Being a
kernet module it needed update with kernel changes (although it should
work with 2.4 kernels). Also I have not tested the cwkeyer driver since 12
month. If necessary I will put some time in to get it working. (You should
be able to cat text into the keyer... tlf just writes text to
/dev/cwkeyer).
I would suggest you first try the cwdaemon, and when that works try to get
the cwkeyer to work, maybe with the help of PA3FKN, the author. It could
also be possible that someone volunteers to add paddle input to the
cwdaemon?

> The hamlib installation went well.  I verified that my autoconf and
> automake  were at the required revision levels, as mention in the hamlib
> README file.   Following the instructions in the INSTALL file,
> everything seemed to be in  place.
>
> I tried the "rigctl" command as mentioned in the Hamlib FAQ.  The only
> thing  it does, no matter what switches I throw, is "freq =
> 57786698487558987" (or  thereabouts).  According to the FAQ, entering
> 'rigctl --list' should display  a listing of all supported rigs.
> Entering 'rigctl --help' should give a  listing of commands.  All I get
> is the same "freq = ...." mentioned above.

You may want to contact address@hidden
There you find all the experts. Maybe they also have a recent snapshot of
hamlib-1.1.3
I have installed the hamlib on a new computer last weekend, and it worked
out of the box.

> I haven't installed TLF 0.8.18 yet, as I wanted to make sure that the
> parallel port keyer and rig control were working first.

If you have any other problems yelling here normally helps :)

Sucess,

Rein PA0RCT

--
email: address@hidden, address@hidden