tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] US Field Day & VHF

From: Steve Huston
Subject: [Tlf-devel] US Field Day & VHF
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 02:23:18 -0400

I see a couple messages were just posted about adding VHF to this very fine program to aid in US Field Day operations. I'd like to second that idea, and if I have time to go through the source I might submit a patch against 0.9.19 for it (looked through, and it doesn't seem too difficult to change, but I didn't look too hard either :> )

I'm a new ham, and this Field Day was my first, and the first thing I thought of after it was over was how we needed better logging software. What we had worked, but I wanted more - especially something networked, so that laptops could move from one rig to another (or be taken home, and someone else's laptop put in its place) without messing up the logs. After a little searching, I found TLF and it looks perfect! I'll be experimenting with it for a bit, and then pitching the idea to our club for next year's operations, as well as upcoming contests between now and then.

One other thing that I'd like to see, and might be a simple addition, is a way to mark a QSO as being logged by a specific operator. During our FD, we had many ops that shared radios and logging computers, and while all contacts go towards the club score, there's a few of us who would like to know, for example, how many contacts did Paul actually make on 80M at 0400 just after saying he was heading to bed soon?

This looks like the program I'd been thinking about for the last week, and dreading the fact that I was going to have to write it - thanks Rein, I think you just made my headache go away! *grin*

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
 Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285