tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Some advantages of networked TLF

From: Fred Reiselt
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Some advantages of networked TLF
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:48:13 -0500

Hi Bob,

We never have used the keyboarding feature. The networking helps us in several ways:

1) The database backup is a big feature. We synchronize the database on each laptop which eliminates a laptop failure losing data for one station. We use old obsolete laptops (7 to 10 years old!) so they may be more prone to failure.

2) Overall QSO rate is calculated and shown on each laptop.

3) QSOs from other stations show up on each laptop and that spurs some competitive juices between the stations.

4) We can be more flexible with assigning band/modes to stations. 40SSB can be on one station now and then be on another station later and dupe checking has no gaps. We operate fairly casually with band/mode assignments on Field Day since it not a contest.

73,
Fred
wb5con

address@hidden wrote:

----------------------cut-------------------------------

Hey gang;

Other than the ops "keyboarding" each other, since there can only be one
transmitter per band/mode on Field Day, is there an advantage to
networking such stuff together for a contest such as Field Day.

I suppose that log backup over the network would be useful, but can't that
be done easily enough outside of the logging software anyways ?

I am sure I am missing something, but I cannot seem to see the advantage
during this particular contest/operating activity.

Vy 73;

Bob
w9ya