tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] REQUEST: ITU zone info for CTY country files

From: Jim Reisert AD1C
Subject: [Tlf-devel] REQUEST: ITU zone info for CTY country files
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:08:47 +0000

Hi Folks,

This is for mostly for USA and UA9/UA0 operators.  Others can read or
delete as needed.

Someone told me today that his ITU zone in the contest country file
was incorrect.  He lives in a state that contains two ITU zones (7 and
8), and my default zone (7) for him was wrong.

There are only about 500 USA callsigns listed in CTY.DAT.  These are
the "most popular" callsigns in the Super Check Partial database, who
do NOT live in the default CQ zone for their callsign (note I said CQ
zone, not ITU zone).  It is easy to determine CQ zone based on
callsign (except for those stations who live in KY, TN, AL, WV and
WY).  It is NOT easy to determine ITU zone from callsign (there are a
lot of exceptions).

The same applies to certain UA9/UA0 oblasts, which can be in multiple
ITU zones.

Please set up your logging software for the IARU contest coming up
July 11/12.  Try to log your own callsign, and see if the correct ITU
zone comes up.  If it does NOT, please let me know via a private
E-mail.  All I need is your callsign as you sign it on the air
(i.e. AD1C or K5ZD/1) and your correct ITU zone.  If your call appears
in the Super Check Partial database enough times, then I'll add it to
the country file.

I need to do this soon, since the IARU contest is only a little over a
week away.

Thanks & 73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us