tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Tlf scoring for Stew Perry?

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Tlf scoring for Stew Perry?
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 07:02:31 +0100

Am Mon, 9 Dec 2013 15:53:19 -0600
schrieb Nate Bargmann <address@hidden>:

> I use 'git grep' a lot as it limits the search to the code Git knows
> about in a given repository.  I use grep for built files in the build
> directory.  A lot of options to be sure.  I have yet to spend time
> with ctags or cscope, I'm sure they're fine tools.
>
> I know a quick example would help me understand any improvements over
> grep options.

How about that:

You did a grep for some identifier and afterward want to look at all
the places it is used. So you have to start less or vi or whatever with
all the filenames you found - that maybe a lot of typing.

With cscope you get the search result as a list you can choose from.
No typing of each found filename.

But to be honest I do use grep, sed  and other tools as well. It is
good to have a well filled and sorted toolbag.

73, de Tom DL1JBE.

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea