toon-members

Re: [Toon-members] Bug report: TooN - missing function (fwd)

From: Gerhard Reitmayr
Subject: Re: [Toon-members] Bug report: TooN - missing function (fwd)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 12:28:14 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007, Gerhard Reitmayr wrote:
>
>> I am all for opening up the mailing lists.
>
> Sounds good. Do you opt for creating a second open list?

no, i am ok with just making the current list public. it does not seem
that we discuss really secret things here :)

>> Unrelated question about the patch:
>> what is this method used for?
>
> I don't know, but it was there.
>
>> do we want such a not-type-safe API?
>
> I have naver used it, and I can't see why you would. But it seems that
> someone wants to.

well, I certainly would thank them for the heads-up and explain that the
function should not exist and a cast on the user side is the way resolve
it. In my point of view the method invites abuse without overhead (ugly
cast to use).

I agree that I am probably anal about this, as it definitely does not
matter in current code or any future code I will write using TooN. So, I
trust that I have made my point with this email :) and I am fine with
whatever you decide to do.

cheers,
  Gerhard

--
Gerhard Reitmayr
MIL, Engineering Department, Cambridge University