toutdoux-list

[ToutDoux-list] Want to use it

From: Ha Duong Minh
Subject: [ToutDoux-list] Want to use it
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:23:58 -0400

Dear friends,

   This is a situation for which I believe ToutDoux must be ideal:

   I am full-time researcher (Chargé de Recherche at CNRS). I periodically
need to report on my activities. I also would like to be able to track my
production closely along the following lines:

  The production unit is the research paper. A research paper is a text of
about fifteen pages which describes a scientific experiment, an opinion,
whatever.  At any point in time, I have several research papers going on.
These are the main events that mark the lifecycle of a research paper:

1/  The project idea is discussed: something is promised to someone
2/  An abstract submitted to a congress: there is a page or two
3/  A presentation is delivered to an audience: there are slides and a text
4/  A manuscript is submitted to an editor
5/  The manuscript is rejected/ accepted with revisions / accepted
6/  Page proofs from the printed have been send back with corrections
7/  The article is published.

 This can be viewed as a production process, even if not everything that
goes in does make it as a published article. Publication can also happens
as a technical report, as part of a book, a collection, or as a congress's
proceedings.

 I also do research contracts. These are slighly different thing: the
contract report is usually comprised of several chapters (each
corresponding to a research paper).

I would like to be able to track these events as they go along. The system
I imagine would be able to write reports for
 - The list of activities during a specific period of time.
 - The status of my research papers at a given point in time.

By status, I mean the list of events that happened to this paper,
especially the most recent one.

Would you say that ToutDoux is already useable for such a task?
I would love to help by writing documentation and report on my experience.

Minh.
--
Minh Ha Duong, CIRED                 Chargé de Recherche au CNRS

Center for Integrated Study of Human Dimensions of Global Change
Department of Engineering and Public Policy.
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213-3890, USA

tel +1 412 268 4640
fax +1 412 268 3757
address@hidden