tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss] ldap virtual auth plugin : near release

From: Prune
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss] ldap virtual auth plugin : near release
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:16:43 +0100

re,

Chris Lightfoot wrote:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 02:46:37PM +0100, Prune wrote:
[...]
I subscribe this list 2 years ago. I'm not an ldap expert, I learn with
what I see and hear. Most of ldap implemented tools act as this :

-> bind as a privileged user
or
-> bind anonymously
-> search for attribute
-> get result attributes
-> re-bind as user
or
-> compare userPassword with the one supplied by the user

Some tools offer both, some do not...
I don't think there are a better way than another...

FWIW, the Apache auth_ldap appears to use the search/bind
model. It seems like a reasonable idea to me (as a total
LDAP neophyte), I suppose. It would be nice to implement
both, I guess. I may look at doing that.

Presumably you can set ACLs so that (say) the email
address and name of a user are publically available, but
another attribute -- a password hash, say -- is available
only to the administrator and the user as whom the POP
server binds to the server?

the fact is that I prefer not to allow anything to users account.
In my directory (but anybody can do as they want) only some special users have acces to some attributes.
so :
-anonymous : nothing
-users : bind only
-special user 'tpop3d' : read on mail, password, maildrop....

As I said before, even if my host if protected from internet, I will not allow anonymous users to have access to my list of users.
I will also not allow users to have access at theire informations.
maybe I'm paranoid, but this seems to be the most secure way.

Prune