tpop3d-devel

[tpop3d-discuss] POP before SMTP with MySQL

From: Dom Gallagher
Subject: [tpop3d-discuss] POP before SMTP with MySQL
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:59:08 -0500

Not a problem (for once!), more of a 'thank you'.

I've been looking at POP before SMTP as I'm getting an increasing number of users 'roaming', and I myself am on a dynamic IP on DSL. I'm using Postfix on that particular machine, and have no immediate wish to change to another daemon due to the (very) custom config.

The 'standard' methods of POP before SMTP (including DRAC) involve the use of Berkeley DB maps, which have the unfortunate side effect of causing the SMTP daemon to reload when they are changed (to read new maps). I use tpop3d on several machines with 100% MySQL authentication, and have read the notes on the onlogin hooks that imply the MySQL hooks will be executed for every login.

Long story short, I set up tpop3d with mysql authentication, without an APOP or pass query, but with an onlogin query, and I'm now able to insert a MySQL row whenever someone logs in. An external cron job retires stale links.

Thanks for the (perhaps unintended) feature; I'm impressed with how flexible this daemon is. I hope to come up with a Postfix/MySQL/tpop3d FAQ/HOWTO at some point (workload permitting), but if anyone has questions, please feel free to ask.
--
Dom Gallagher (address@hidden)
Development Engineering

This message is sent in confidence to the addressees.
It may contain privileged, proprietary, or confidential information.