Re: Dealing with strange shell prompts

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: Dealing with strange shell prompts
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:10:55 +1000

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002, Kai Gro wrote:
> lawrence mitchell <address@hidden> writes:
>> Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to happen more often now that Tramp doesn't grok a shell
>>> prompt after "exec /bin/sh" on the remote end. I wonder if "exec
>>> /bin/sh" could be replaced by something else which can be expected
>>> to work better?
>>
>>> How about, for example, the following?
>>
>>>     exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh
>>
>>> I think it works under csh-like shells as well as under Bourne-ish
>>> shells.  (Note that this command is expected to start a Bourne-ish
>>> shell, so at this point we're not allowed to assume that we are
>>> talking to a Bourne-ish shell already.)

[...]

> OK.  So what about rc or rx or what is this Plan9 thing called?

Fails, sorry. The assignment makes rc die with a syntax error.

You seem to be able to use "exec env 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh" fairly portably,
though, with my limited range of testing.

        Daniel

--
The effect of boredom on a large scale in history is underestimated.
It is a main cause of revolutions, and would soon bring to an end all