Re: Tramp and NT-Emacs with plink

From: Jonathan Epstein
Subject: Re: Tramp and NT-Emacs with plink
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:02:31 -0400

I am extremely grateful for the efforts that Douglas Stephens and Kai (and
others) have put into this.  After months of beating my head against this, I am
now finally able to get remote access from my W2K Emacs 20.6.1+Tramp 2.0.17 to
several (secured) remote Linux systems, without having to store my password
locally in any way.  Here's the only TRAMP-specific code in my _emacs :

(require 'tramp)
(require 'telnet)
(setq tramp-password-end-of-line "\r\n")
(setq tramp-default-method "plink")
(setq tramp-verbose 10)
(setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
(setq tramp-auto-save-directory "c:/temp")

It's possible that I could even remove some of this.

Anyhow, while access to the two Linux systems works great, I am currently
unable to access a remote Solaris system which is a bit old, and is running a
version of Perl that's a bit old:

trypsin% uname -a
SunOS trypsin 5.8 Generic_108528-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
trypsin% perl -v

This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for sun4-solaris

 I see the following at the end of the *Messages* buffer:

tramp: Checking to see if encoding/decoding commands work on remote host...
Remote host cannot execute de/encoding commands.  See buffer `*tramp/plink
address@hidden' for details

  But that buffer is quite uninformative, and only contains the line:

Process *tramp/plink address@hidden interrupt

  Here's the end of the debug buffer:

# Checking remote decoding command `tramp_decode' for sanity
$ ( echo xyzzy | tramp_encode | tramp_decode >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; echo
tramp_exit_status $? )
tramp_exit_status 0
# Using remote encoding tramp_encode
# Using remote decoding tramp_decode
# Using local encoding base64-encode-region
# Using local decoding base64-decode-region
# Checking to see if encoding/decoding commands work on remote host...
$ echo xyzzy | tramp_encode | tramp_decode

So it looks as though it hangs on the encoding and/or decoding.  Is this a
known problem with older versions of Perl?  It wouldn't be a big deal to
upgrade Perl on that system if this is the consensus.

Thanks,

Jonathan