can't get TRAMP to run over EFS

From: The Anarcat
Subject: can't get TRAMP to run over EFS
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:48:37 -0400

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before.. I am not able to use
tramp under:

XEmacs 21.4.8 "Honest Recruiter" configured for `powerpc-debian-linux'.

The problem is that EFS doesn't seem to pickup Tramp. I have read the
faq and tried to debug the thing as suggested, but it doesn't look
like the efs-ftp-path function is even called.

Here is what I get when I try to connect to a host:

open dev
ftp: connect: Connection refused

Process *ftp address@hidden killed

Minibuffer messages:
Opening FTP connection to dev...
FTP Error: OPEN request failed: ftp: connect: Connection refused

Enabling debugging options in the troubleshooting menu leads me to the
following stack trace:

Signaling: (ftp-error "FTP Error: OPEN request failed: ftp: connect: Connection
refused")
  signal(ftp-error ("FTP Error: OPEN request failed: ftp: connect: Connection
refused"))
  efs-error("dev" "anonymous" "OPEN request failed: ftp: connect: Connection
refused")
  efs-login("dev" "anonymous" #<process "*ftp address@hidden" pid 31726
state:signal>)
  efs-get-process("dev" "anonymous")
  efs-host-type("dev" "anonymous")
  efs-expand-file-name("/dev:/" nil)
  apply(efs-expand-file-name ("/dev:/" nil))
  efs-file-handler-function(expand-file-name "/dev:/" nil)
  expand-file-name("/dev:/")
  find-file-noselect("/dev:/")
  find-file("/dev:/" nil)
  call-interactively(find-file)

As you can see, it doesn't look like efs-ftp-path is called anywhere.

I've also setup debug-on-error efs-ftp-path, with no improvement.

This is using the latest Tramp version (2.0.25).

I'm completely available to test and backtrack this problem to this
end.

Thanks.

A.