Re: tramp (2.0.25); Hangs on connect

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.25); Hangs on connect
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:23:51 +0200

Ian Bicking <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 12:56, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>> If you compare the two debug buffers, you see that for root the
>> command "exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh" is echoed, but for ianb, it is
>> not echoed.
>>
>> Can you try to set up the root environment on that host such that the
>> command is not echoed, and then check that it works?
>
> Do you have any idea what might be causing that?  When I run that
> command (exec ...) in an ssh session, both accounts act identically (a
> new shell is started, $ as the prompt -- nothing else is printed except
> the $).

Strange.  Can you include something like "stty -echo" in root's shell
init files, then try Tramp again?

Another useful thing to do would be to open a new buffer and to type
the following in it (line break for email only):

    M-: (start-process "ssh-root" (current-buffer)
                       "ssh" "address@hidden") RET

Then do something similar for the user ianb in another buffer and
send me (or the mailing list) both buffers.  Perhaps you could attach
them as an application/octet-stream attachment to avoid mangling of
line endings and other control chars.

kai