Re: Default user and host (even if only for su/sudo)?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Default user and host (even if only for su/sudo)?
Date: 21 Nov 2002 23:28:21 +0100

Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel <address@hidden> writes:

> > > However, having to type "/address@hidden" is getting old faster
> > > and faster :)
> >
> > Yes, indeed.  Well, the most recent version of Tramp has a variable
> > tramp-default-method-alist which allows you to configure some
> > things.  By default, root is the default user for the `su' method,
> > for example, so /[su/localhost] should be enough.
> >
> > Oh, on XEmacs the default value is nil.  Sorry.
>
>         Why is that?
>
> > Then the host name may be empty, so that /[su/address@hidden might work.
> > But
> > don't count on it...

If I remember correctly, "root" and "localhost" are default values for
both "su" and "sudo" methods. If you have nothing defined in your
.emacs; still user name / host name completion (via <TAB>) should give
you these values.

Just checked with GNU Emacs; it still seems to work. For XEmacs I'm
too tired now.